HomeNewsMan suspected of shooting at ABC affiliate had note to ‘do the next scary thing,’ prosecutors say

Man suspected of shooting at ABC affiliate had note to ‘do the next scary thing,’ prosecutors say

NewsSeptember 23, 2025
3 min read
Man suspected of shooting at ABC affiliate had note to ‘do the next scary thing,’ prosecutors say
Prosecutors said on Monday that a man accused of firing gunshots at a local news station in California had notes critical of the Trump administration in his car and a reminder to “Do the Next Scary Th...
Reading Settings

Prosecutors said on Monday that a man accused of firing gunshots at a local news station in California had notes critical of the Trump administration in his car and a reminder to “Do the Next Scary Thing” on his fridge. 

According to an updated criminal complaint filed in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California, the man, Anibal Hernandez Santana, is facing state and federal charges in connection with the incident. 

Hernandez Santana, 63, is accused of firing one shot toward and three shots into the KXTV/ABC10 station in Sacramento, Calif., on Friday. The station is an affiliate of Tegna Inc., which entered into an agreement with Nexstar Media Group -- the parent company of The Hill -- to purchase the company for $6.2 billion last month. 

A station employee was in the lobby when the shots were fired. No one was injured.  

Later that evening, investigators detained Hernandez Santana at his residence. Upon searching the property, detectives found a whiteboard planner on the man’s fridge that included the aforementioned quote under “Friday.”

After Santana posted bail and was released from custody on Saturday, law enforcement searched his car and found a note saying, “For hiding Epstein & ignoring red flags. Do not support [FBI Director Kash] Patel, [FBI Deputy Director Dan] Bongino, & AG Pam Bondi. They’re next. – C.K. from above.” 

Hours after his initial release, Santana was arrested by the FBI. According to KXTV/ABC10, Sacramento County District Attorney Thien Ho told reporters Monday that “C.K.” refers to conservative activist Charlie Kirk, who was fatally shot on Sept. 10. 

"Here's the deal, at the end of the day, violence, any violence, but political violence and violence targeting the media, will not be tolerated here in Sacramento County, and we will hold people accountable and that's what we're doing right here now," Ho said.

The federal criminal complaint says prosecutors have probable cause to charge Santana with possession of a firearm in a school zone, discharge of a firearm within a school zone and interference with a radio communications station. If Santana is found guilty on all three counts, he faces up to six years in prison and a maximum of $260,000 in fines. 

Ho also said Monday that his office will file charges concerning discharging a firearm into an inhabited building, assault with a semi-automatic firearm and personal use of a firearm. If found guilty on the state charges, Hernandez Santana could face up to 17 years in prison. 

Hernandez Santana’s attorney, Mark Reichel, called the simultaneous charges “remarkably uncommon” in a statement to KXTV/ABC10. 

“Given the highly unusual circumstances here, we understand the news media and the public have many questions, as do we,” Reichel added. “At this time, we have not had an opportunity to review the evidence in the case, so our ability to provide those answers is non-existent. 

“Mr. Hernandez Santana is entitled to due process — he is innocent unless and until he is found otherwise.”

Source: The Hill - News

Share this article

Related Articles

NASA astronauts will have their own droid when they go back to the Moon
Dec 095 months ago

NASA astronauts will have their own droid when they go back to the Moon

NASA crew will be the first astronauts to work with a robot on a celestial body other than Earth. ...

{"_":"https://arstechnica.com/space/2025/12/lunar-outpost-rover-to-study-lunar-dust-alongside-artemis-astronauts-on-moon/","$":{"isPermaLink":"true"}}2 min read
Read More
Trump keeps historic meeting with Syria’s leader behind closed doors
Nov 116 months ago

Trump keeps historic meeting with Syria’s leader behind closed doors

President Trump on Monday kept a historic meeting with Syria’s interim President Ahmed al-Sharaa behind closed doors, an unusual move for a president who frequently opens up the Oval Office to cameras...

{"_":"https://thehill.com/?p=5599534","$":{"isPermaLink":"false"}}7 min read
Read More
Why a handful of Democratic senators decided to end the shutdown
Nov 116 months ago

Why a handful of Democratic senators decided to end the shutdown

Sen. Tim Kaine (Va.), who nearly a decade ago served as Hillary Clinton’s running mate when she lost the presidency to Donald Trump, was the eighth Democratic senator to back a centrist deal the Senat...

{"_":"https://thehill.com/?p=5599509","$":{"isPermaLink":"false"}}7 min read
Read More
18 people injured in DC people mover crash at Dulles International Airport
Nov 116 months ago

18 people injured in DC people mover crash at Dulles International Airport

A mobile lounge hit a dock at Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) Monday afternoon, sending 18 people to the hospital. Crystal Nosal, part of the Metro Washington Airports Authority’s (MWAA)...

{"_":"https://thehill.com/?p=5599611","$":{"isPermaLink":"false"}}1 min read
Read More