HomeglobalGovt. committed to reviving Nandi awards, says Cinematography Minister Durgesh

Govt. committed to reviving Nandi awards, says Cinematography Minister Durgesh

globalMay 24, 2026
3 min read
Govt. committed to reviving Nandi awards, says Cinematography Minister Durgesh
He calls upon producers and film personalities to invest in studios, dubbing theatres and recording facilities in the State; Bharat Bhushan takes over as Andhra Pradesh State Film, Television and Thea
Reading Settings

Tourism, Cinematography and Cultural Affairs Minister Kandula Durgesh on Sunday said the TDP-led coalition government in the State had initiated steps for revival of arts and culture.

Speaking at a function where the new office-bearers of the Andhra Pradesh State Film, Television and Theatre Development Corporation (APSFTVTDC) took charge, Mr. Durgesh announced that the government was committed to reviving the prestigious Nandi Awards and Nandi Natakotsavams.

He said Andhra Pradesh possessed several attractive shooting locations, including Araku Valley, Maredumilli, Tirupati and Amaravati, and called upon producers and film personalities to invest in studios, dubbing theatres and recording facilities in the State.

While Bharat Bhushan assumed charge as Chairman of the corporation, Chikkala Meher Ramesh Kumar took oath as Vice-Chairman in the presence of film personalities, public representatives and officials.

Mr. Bharat Bhushan said he would strive for the development of cinema, arts and theatre in Andhra Pradesh, and thanked Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu, Deputy Chief Minister K. Pawan Kalyan, Mr. Durgesh and MLA Nandamuri Balakrishna for entrusting him with the responsibility.

He recalled that a full-fledged committee for the film sector had earlier been constituted in 1984 under the leadership of the former Chief Minister, N.T. Rama Rao, and D.V.S. Raju, and said the coalition government had now revived it after many years.

He said with the help of Mr. Balakrishna, Mr. Pawan Kalyan and Mr. Durgesh, efforts would be made to expand the Telugu film industry in Andhra Pradesh.

Mr. Meher Ramesh Kumar said the coalition government was committed to creating a “film-friendly” environment in the State, and said the newly-formed board would work towards bringing film-related activity back to Andhra Pradesh by strengthening infrastructure and employment opportunities.

Actor and MLA Nandamuri Balakrishna congratulating P. Bharath Bhushan after the latter took charge as Chairman of the A.P. State Film, Television and Theatre Development Corporation, in Vijayawada on Sunday. | Photo Credit: G.N. RAO

Mr. Balakrishna said Vijayawada had once served as a major hub for the Telugu film industry and pointed out that nearly 65-70% of Telugu film revenues still came from Andhra Pradesh. He stressed the need for a single-window system to facilitate shooting permissions and police clearances, and urged both Andhra Pradesh and Telangana governments to support the film industry.

Actors Suman Talwar and Jhansi, who were appointed as directors, also assured support for the growth of the film and television sectors in Andhra Pradesh.

The newly-constituted board included 17 directors, comprising film personalities, artistes and senior officials.

Published - May 24, 2026 07:36 pm IST

Source: The Hindu - India News

Share this article

Related Articles