HomeglobalEducation Ministry a department of disasters, sack Pradhan: Rahul Gandhi

Education Ministry a department of disasters, sack Pradhan: Rahul Gandhi

globalMay 17, 2026
2 min read
Education Ministry a department of disasters, sack Pradhan: Rahul Gandhi
‘Every announcement plunges children deeper into uncertainty. Every failure goes unpunished,’ the Congress leader said
Reading Settings

Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan must be sacked from the Cabinet for the failures of his Ministry, including the recent paper leak of the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET), the Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha, Rahul Gandhi, has demanded. “He (Mr. Pradhan) has failed every single age group of India’s students at once,” Mr. Gandhi said in a social media post on Sunday (May 17, 2026).

First the NEET paper leak affecting 22 lakh students.

Then CBSE Class 12 students receiving unexpectedly low marks from a broken OSM system - many losing their college eligibility.

Now lakhs of CBSE Class 9 students suddenly asked to learn a new language from July 1, with no…

At the first instance, the NEET paper leak had affected 22 lakh students, the Congress leader said. “Then CBSE Class 12 students receiving unexpectedly low marks from a broken OSM (On-Screen Marking) system - many losing their college eligibility. Now lakhs of CBSE Class IX students suddenly asked to learn a new language from July 1, with no teachers, no textbooks, and Class VI books being handed to 14-year-olds as a ‘transitional’ fix,” Mr. Gandhi said.

Editorial | Testing troubles: On the National Testing Agency, NEET-UG 2026

There were three exams, three age groups, and one Minister, he said. “Every announcement plunges children deeper into uncertainty. Every failure goes unpunished. The Education Ministry has become a department of disasters,” he said, urging Prime Minister Narendra Modi to “at least apologise” to the lakhs of children whose futures had been destroyed by the Ministry’s actions.

In 2024, the NEET paper was leaked, but the exam was not cancelled, Mr. Gandhi said. “Minister did not resign. CBI [Central Bureau of Investigation] set up an investigation. A committee was formed,” he said. In 2026, when the NEET paper was leaked, the exam was cancelled. “Minister still did not resign. CBI is investigating again. Another committee will be formed. Mr. Modi, the country is asking you some questions - answer them!” he said.

“Why are paper leaks happening repeatedly? Why are you silent time and again on this ‘exam paper discussion’? Why aren’t you dismissing the Education Minister who keeps failing repeatedly?” Mr. Gandhi said.

Published - May 17, 2026 04:24 pm IST

Rahul Gandhi / Narendra Modi / entrance examination

Source: The Hindu - India News

Share this article

Related Articles