Low-speed scooters account for 90 percent of electric two-wheeler sales in FY 2020


The EV industry in India has reported total sales of 1,52,000 two-wheelers in FY2020, up 20.6 percent from the 1,26,000 units in FY 2019. Of this, low-speed scooters (max speed 25kph) that do not need to be registered with the transport authorities contributed 90 percent of the overall sales.

The report released by the Society of Manufacturers of Electric Vehicles (SMEV) revealed that a majority or 97 percent of sales came from electric scooters, while the remaining 3 percent consisted of electric motorcycles and cycles.

Commenting on the FY2020 sales data, Sohinder Gill, Director General, SMEV said, “The EV industry is taking shape and we believe that despite the COVID-19, FY2021 will be a defining year for all the EV segments. While the EV industry is surely going to face the brunt of COVID-19 like any other automotive business, the clearer skies and the cleaner air in even the worst polluting cities is certainly leaving a permanent impression in the minds of the customers about how they can breathe easy and remain healthy if the society moves towards e-mobility.”

Also see:

Hero Electric announces Rs 5000 discount across its line-up

Source link

Leave a Reply