
Charles conferred LVO after his US visit on James Roscoe who had been standing in for Peter Mandelson
A top diplomat who abruptly left his post at the British embassy in Washington earlier this week after standing in as interim ambassador for Peter Mandelson has been honoured by King Charles.
No reason has yet been given for James Roscoe’s departure. An investigation is now under way into the leak of discussions at a meeting of the UK’s national security council.
Senior officials at the embassy are said to have been among those questioned as part of the investigation, after reports this year of cabinet splits at a national security council meeting over allowing the US to use British bases for strikes against Iran.
Those discussions are protected by the Official Secrets Act and a leak from the national security council is considered a serious breach.
Roscoe, who has served as deputy head of the mission since 2022, was made a lieutenant of the Royal Victorian Order (LVO) by the king on 30 April. The honour, which recognises distinguished personal service to the monarch, was connected to the recent state visit made by Charles and Camilla to the United States, to mark the 250th anniversary of American independence.
On Wednesday, the Crown’s official public record, the Gazette, which publishes details of royal appointments and honours, said the king had been “graciously pleased” to grant a series of appointments linked to last month’s royal trip.
In the case of Roscoe, a former chief press officer in Downing Street for Tony Blair and Gordon Brown, he become an LVO, allowing him to use the letters after his name.
Roscoe, whose earlier diplomatic postings included Sierra Leone and Iraq, stood in when Mandelson was sacked from his post over his links to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. He was among those tipped to take up the top job permanently although the posting ultimately went to another diplomat, Christian Turner.
In a brief statement issued early on Wednesday morning, a Foreign Office spokesperson said: “James Roscoe has left his post.”
Buckingham Palace declined to comment on Roscoe’s award but pointed out that while published on Wednesday, the honours were made last month. There is a precedent for recognising staff involved in planning state visits.
Source: Guardian - World News



