HomeglobalMarried at First Sight contestants urged to contact police over rape allegations

Married at First Sight contestants urged to contact police over rape allegations

globalMay 19, 2026
6 min read
Married at First Sight contestants urged to contact police over rape allegations
Metropolitan police yet to receive criminal reports relating to claims made in BBC programmePolice have urged potential victims of sexual assault who appeared on Married at First Sight UK to
Reading Settings

Metropolitan police yet to receive criminal reports relating to claims made in BBC programme

Police have urged potential victims of sexual assault who appeared on Married at First Sight UK to contact them, after female participants made allegations of rape and sexual misconduct.

A BBC Panorama episode that aired on Monday evening documented accusations from contestants about their time on the reality TV show. Two women, who are not named, alleged they were raped by their on-screen husbands, while a third woman who agreed to be identified, Shona Manderson, accused her on-screen husband of taking things too far during sex. All the men deny the claims.

The show, which is produced for Channel 4 by the independent production company CPL, features single people being matched by experts and then “marrying”, with the couples meeting for the first time on their wedding day.

A Metropolitan police spokesperson said: “We are aware of media reporting relating to allegations of rape and sexual assault following the airing of a television programme on Monday.

“At this time, we have not received any criminal reports in relation to this matter. We will be making approaches to the relevant production teams to ensure that anyone they have spoken to is aware of how to report any criminal allegations to police.

“We continue to encourage anyone who believes they have been a victim of sexual assault, no matter how long ago it happened, to get in touch with us.”

A former Channel 4 chief executive has described the rape allegations as “very serious and concerning”. Alex Mahon said launching an investigation was “the right thing” to do, and the gravity of the allegations meant current protocols around ensuring reality TV programmes met their duty of care to participants would need to be reviewed to ensure “enough is being done”.

Mahon was asked about the documentary while appearing before MPs on the culture, media and sport committee on Tuesday. She told the committee: “Obviously, I’m no longer at Channel 4 but I watched the programme last night. There are some very serious and concerning allegations in it.

“I think the right thing for them to do is to launch an investigation. I think, in fact, they’ve announced two investigations, a legal one and a duty of care protocols one, and then we should see what those investigations come up with and act on any findings.”

Channel 4 has removed all seasons of Married at First Sight UK from its streaming platform after what it said were “very serious allegations”. The broadcaster also announced that it had commissioned an external review of contributor welfare last month.

“In April, Channel 4 was presented with serious allegations of wrongdoing against a small number of past contributors, allegations that we understand those contributors have denied,” Channel 4 said in a statement on Monday. “The channel is mindful of the privacy and continuing duty of care towards all contributors and cannot comment on or disclose details of those allegations.

“Related to those allegations, Channel 4 was asked to respond to claims of failures in welfare protocols. Channel 4 believes that when concerns related to contributor welfare were raised through existing welfare and production protocols, prompt and appropriate action was taken, based on the information available at the time. Channel 4 strongly refutes any claim to the contrary.”

In a statement to the BBC, the Department for Culture, Media and Sport said: “All allegations must be referred to the appropriate authorities and investigated with the full cooperation of those involved, with action taken to ensure that the highest standards are upheld and there are consequences for criminality or wrongdoing.”

Lawyers for CPL told the BBC that its welfare system was “gold standard” and that it had acted appropriately.

Priya Dogra, the Channel 4 chief executive, told the BBC: “On the claims that Channel 4 may have failed in its duty of care, I believe that when concerns about contributor welfare were raised, and based on the information available at the time, Channel 4 acted quickly, appropriately, sensitively and with wellbeing front and centre.”

Channel 4 said Married at First Sight UK was produced under “some of the most comprehensive and robust welfare protocols in the industry”, including background checks, a code of conduct setting out behavioural standards and “daily contributor check-ins with a specialist welfare team”.

The chair of the culture committee, Caroline Dinenage, told the BBC that Married at First Sight UK had felt almost like “an accident waiting to happen”.

“It’s a TV show that almost expects and anticipates people that have only just met each other will have to become really quite intimate with each other,” she said. “They’re expected to share a bed and a life together within minutes of meeting – it almost feels like an accident waiting to happen.”

Speaking on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme on Tuesday, Dinenage added: “Clearly, the programme was deeply shocking.” She went on: “I guess what surprised me most was how unsurprised I was by what it revealed, given … that these are couples that get married without having met each other before, and then immediately have to assume a life as a married couple.

“They go on honeymoon, they share a bed, and in this kind of bubble of intimacy under the glare of a TV camera. In the cold light of day, it really is quite horrifying, isn’t it?”

The security minister, Dan Jarvis, told BBC Breakfast he was “extremely concerned”, adding: “These are shocking and deeply concerning allegations and of course they must be very thoroughly investigated.”

Information and support for anyone affected by rape or sexual abuse issues is available from the following organisations. In the UK, Rape Crisis offers support on 0808 500 2222 in England and Wales, 0808 801 0302 in Scotland, or 0800 0246 991 in Northern Ireland. In the US, Rainn offers support on 800-656-4673. In Australia, support is available at 1800Respect (1800 737 732). Other international helplines can be found at ibiblio.org/rcip/internl.html

The best public interest journalism relies on first-hand accounts from people in the know. If you have something to share on this subject, you can contact us confidentially using the following methods:

The Guardian app has a tool to send tips about stories. Messages are end to end encrypted and concealed within the routine activity that every Guardian mobile app performs. This prevents an observer from knowing that you are communicating with us at all, let alone what is being said.

If you don’t already have the Guardian app, download it (iOS/Android) and go to the menu. Select ‘Secure Messaging’.

Our guide at theguardian.com/tips lists several ways to contact us securely, and discusses the pros and cons of each. 

Source: Guardian - World News

Share this article

Related Articles

Pineapple growers in Ernakulam face crisis as prices plunge
May 1911 hours ago

Pineapple growers in Ernakulam face crisis as prices plunge

Pineapple growers in the district are facing a severe crisis this year, with the price of the fruit nosediving to a low of ₹18 per kilogram. According to farmers, while the market

article-709990263 min read
Read More