HomeadministrationBrennan on Trump prosecution threats: ‘I’m not going to be intimidated’

Brennan on Trump prosecution threats: ‘I’m not going to be intimidated’

administrationSeptember 27, 2025
3 min read
Brennan on Trump prosecution threats: ‘I’m not going to be intimidated’
Former CIA Director John Brennan said Saturday he would not be intimidated by prosecution threats after the Justice Department indicted former FBI Director James Comey earlier this week. “I’m not goin...
Reading Settings

Former CIA Director John Brennan said Saturday he would not be intimidated by prosecution threats after the Justice Department indicted former FBI Director James Comey earlier this week.

“I’m not going to be intimidated by the likes of Donald Trump. I have always tried to speak my mind and do what I thought was right,” Brennan said during an appearance on MSNBC’s “The Weekend.”

“And clearly there is a corruption and a perversion of the justice system right now within the executive branch,” he added. 

On Thursday, Attorney General Pam Bondi brought charges against Comey for obstructing a congressional investigation and for making false statements to lawmakers. 

Officials allege that Comey gave former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe permission to leak information pertaining to a probe into the 2016 Russia election interference investigation. 

Comey has denied wrongdoing, while Democrats have argued criminal charges against him were politically motivated and Brennan said he’s “never doubted” the ex-FBI director’s integrity. 

“The malicious prosecution against James Comey has no apparent basis in law or fact, and lawyers of good conscience in the department know it," House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.) said following the indictment. 

After the charges against Comey were announced, President Trump said he hopes for more indictments of “corrupt, radical-left Democrats.”

New York Attorney General Letitia James (D), Sen. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), former Director of National Intelligence (DNI) James Clapper and Brennan are among the few who could be targeted with charges next. 

“I don’t know what may be coming my way, but I’m not going to do things that are inconsistent with my ethics and my values and what it is that I believe is important,” Brennan said on Saturday. “And I think more people have to speak out when they see injustice, when they see a government that is abusing its authority and its power."

Brennan added that there was no evidence for a case against him. 

“You know, there’s I don’t see any case against me. I have looked back on all of my actions and decisions,” he told host Eugene Daniels.

“And with John Durham, the special counsel and others that have looked at what we did there was certainly consistent with our legal authorities and with the law,” he continued, referring to the former special counsel for the Justice Department.  

The ex-CIA director urged Republicans in Congress to speak out against the unlawful prosecution of former officials.

“I think more and more people have to speak out, and I’m waiting for those Republicans in Congress to come to their senses, because the damage that’s being done to this country and the dangerous times that we’re in, I think too many Americans do not appreciate the extent of that,” Brennan said.

Source: The Hill - News

Share this article

Related Articles

Trump keeps historic meeting with Syria’s leader behind closed doors
Nov 116 months ago

Trump keeps historic meeting with Syria’s leader behind closed doors

President Trump on Monday kept a historic meeting with Syria’s interim President Ahmed al-Sharaa behind closed doors, an unusual move for a president who frequently opens up the Oval Office to cameras...

{"_":"https://thehill.com/?p=5599534","$":{"isPermaLink":"false"}}7 min read
Read More
Wall Street Journal dismisses Trump $2K dividend idea: 'Hail Mary pass'
Nov 116 months ago

Wall Street Journal dismisses Trump $2K dividend idea: 'Hail Mary pass'

The Wall Street Journal (WSJ) editorial board panned President Trump’s proposal to provide $2,000 tariff rebate checks to most Americans, calling it a “Hail Mary pass.” “President Trump has a big tar...

{"_":"https://thehill.com/?p=5599699","$":{"isPermaLink":"false"}}2 min read
Read More
Live updates: Paul stalls shutdown vote as Senate deal inches forward
Nov 106 months ago

Live updates: Paul stalls shutdown vote as Senate deal inches forward

The Senate convened Monday after it voted to advance a proposal that could reopen the federal government.  But Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) has slowed any movement on Capitol Hill after raising concern over...

{"_":"https://thehill.com/?p=5597340","$":{"isPermaLink":"false"}}2 min read
Read More
Top BBC bosses step down following criticism of edited Trump speech
Nov 106 months ago

Top BBC bosses step down following criticism of edited Trump speech

Two top officials at the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) stepped down Sunday following criticism of the way the British public broadcaster edited a speech delivered by President Trump on Jan. 6...

{"_":"https://thehill.com/?p=5597976","$":{"isPermaLink":"false"}}4 min read
Read More